Friday, June 12, 2009

When Life Gives You Rice ..... Make It Do :)

Several nights ago, as I was making dinner, I *accidentally* made waaaaay too much rice. I mean, we are talking like almost 8 cups here people (don't ask) :) So, after dinner I was stuck with the dilemma of what to do with ALL this starchy goodness! Since we are trying to be thrifty, I didn't feel like I could just throw it away, but it was a lot, I mean a LOT, of rice. I ended up finding an awesome rice pudding recipe that calls for already cooked rice and a few other ingredients I already had on hand- presto! Our family loves rice pudding, so it wasn't long till it was gone, gone, gone. Anyways, this little experiment got me thinking of all the ways we could be creative with what we've got and save money. While browsing my fave blogs, I came across this little gem: http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/ This blog asks the question "Can a downturn in the economy actually mean an upturn in our resourcefulness, our creativity, and our outlook on life? This blog explores how happiness can come from simple things, and how good old fashioned hard work and resourcefulness might just be making a welcome comeback….You never know what life will bring you, and lately it’s giving a lot of us lemons. “Make it Do” is about turning lemons into lemonade." So, my dears, I want to ask you: what are some ways that you find yourself being more resourceful/creative in this economy??? I would love to hear your input!!
Oh! And just in case life (or the Chinese Food delivery man) gives you more rice than you know what to do with, Here is the recipe I found for yummy rice pudding (minus the raisins)!



No comments: